Very few people are fortunate enough to live a life that is on autopilot; where things are always running smooth and hassle free. For most of us there are good days and there are bad days, times when we are motivated to move mountains and times where we get stuck in a pattern of stress and need to find a way to recharge ourselves. Those are the times when we need to take a break from our daily routines and learn to appreciate all that we have.
Being grateful, learning to love ourselves, and creating a peaceful happy life is the key to living a joyful life. It’s the little things we can do, the out of the ordinary routine stuff, that will breathe life back into our weary souls.
Why save things for special occasions when every day we are alive is a special occasion. If life has shown us anything since 2020, it is that life is short and can change in a matter of seconds. How often do we say to ourselves that we will do this someday, or I’m saving it for a special occasion only to realize that someday never comes and the special occasion we need to brighten up our days are few and far between. Life is about balance; we work, we play, we take care of others, and we need to take care of ourselves as well.
If you are in need of shaking up your routine, check out these 30 surefire ideas to help brighten your mood.
- Break out the good china and treat yourself to a special meal.
- Get dressed up and put on makeup, just for you.
- Get a massage.
- Soak in a warm bubble bath.
- Give yourself a facial, manicure, or pedicure.
- Enjoy a bit of nature. Fresh air, walking though a park, or a day at the beach all have great restorative powers.
- Sit outside and watch the clouds create pictures in the sky.
- Do something cultural (visit a museum, go to a play or show) and immerse yourself in art.
- Play hooky from your daily chores. The laundry, the daily cleaning, or any other task that you do on a consistent basis can wait for a day. You deserve time off without worrying about work or running a million errands.
- Explore the city you live in and discover a few places you didn’t know existed.
- Have lunch or dinner at that new place you’ve been wanting to visit.
- Get up early to watch the sunrise.
- Enjoy a beautiful sunset.
- Meditate or pray.
- Read a book.
- Unplug from your electronic devices.
- Listen to music.
- Light scented candles around the house.
- Buy yourself fresh flowers for no reason at all.
- Give yourself permission to indulge in a decadent dessert.
- Buy yourself a little “pick-me-up” gift.
- Spend time doing a hobby you enjoy,
- Watch a few inspiring TedTalks.
- Plan a GNO with your besties.
- Create Pinterest boards of positive quotes.
- Go through your old photos and reminisce about the past.
- Journal or write your thoughts in a diary.
- Declutter and organize your space.
- Curl up on the couch in your soft cozy PJ’s and enjoy a hot cup of coffee or tea.
- Reconnect with an old friend.
What ever you do, be sure to completely engage in the present and enjoy the feeling of doing something that is pleasurable.
What things do you enjoy and do when you need to take a little time out from your daily life? Drop a comment in the comments section below, and be sure to “Like”, “Share”, “Tweet”, “Pin”, or “Link” this list.